Siem Reap to Hanoi: Best 3 ways to travel - 2020 Travel Guide
Siem Reap to Hanoi: Best 3 ways to travel - 2020 Travel Guide
Table of contentHide All
Siem Reap, a city with a much famous ancient building is a province in north-western Cambodia. Every year, Siem Reap welcomes millions of tourists from all over the world to visit the famous Angkor Wat Temple. Also, Angkor Wat in Siem Reap has Ta Prohm temple, which is known as one of the scenes from the movie “Tomb Raider”. Especially, when you come to Siem Reap - the ancient capital of Cambodia, you will pass an ancient stone bridge built in the 12th century, which is the Angkor period more than 1000 years ago. The bridge is built with the inspiration of domes architecture and the sacred Naga Buddha statue worshiped by the locals.
The neighbor country of Cambodia, Vietnam, also has a very attractive and gorgeous capital, Hanoi, with a thousand years of civilization. Hanoi always attracts tourists by its ancient features and tranquility. If you have a trip to Hanoi, surely you can not forget the typical atmosphere here, with Hoan Kiem Lake, West Lake, quiet cafés, small streets, and street vendors.
As Cambodia borders southern Vietnam, it is so easy for visitors who indulge in exploring these two Indochina countries to travel from Siem Reap to Hanoi. You can choose one from a variety of ways to travel between these two cities, depending on your interests and budget. Now, let’s explore ways to travel from Siem Reap to Hanoi and find out the most suitable way for your trip.
1. Getting from Siem Reap to Hanoi by airplane: The fastest means of transportation for your trip
a. Overview about getting from Siem Reap to Hanoi by airplane
One of the easiest ways to get to Hanoi from Siem Reap is by plane. Serving both domestic and international routes in both directions, Siem Reap National airport serves over 1 million visitors a year. Flights from Siem Reap to Hanoi will take off at Siem Reap International Airport and land at Noi Bai International Airport. The flight time ranges from about 1 hour and 45 minutes with a direct flight to 6 hours with a stopover flight.. Additionally, there are several firms that are offering flights to Hanoi from Siem Reap such as Cambodia Angkor Air, AirAsia , Vietjet Air and Vietnam Airlines, which have a lot of preferential deals for travelers to buy tickets from Siem Reap to Hanoi with attractive prices. The price of the flight depends on the type of flight (Direct or stopover flights, one way or round trip flights) and often ranges from VND 1,200,000 - VND 4,000,000. The direct flight will start from Siem Reap and land at Hanoi, while stopover flight will have a stop in Thailand between the two destinations.
b. How to book a flight from Siem Reap to Hanoi
You can check the information about your flight with some aviation firms’ website below to find out the most suitable brand and ticket price for your trip:
Vietnam Airline: This is the flag carrier and the first aviation firm in Vietnam, with routes to Southeast Asia, East Asia, Europe, etc and currently operates 49 regular flights to 21 domestic destinations and 28 international destinations, which total more than 360 flights a day.
- Website: vietnamairlines.com/vn/en/home
- Tel: 1900 1100
- Price: From VND 4,500,000
Jetstar is the first low - cost aviation firm in Vietnam. With the mission of providing cheap daily airfares , Jetstar Pacific now operates passenger and cargo services to domestic destinations in Vietnam with its Airbus A320 fleet of 180 passengers.
- Website: jetstar.com/vn/en/home
- Tel: 19001550
- Price: From VND 2,900,000
Vietjet air is another domestic aviation firm that is also very well known and has a reputation for its economical price.
- Website: vietjetair.com/Sites/Web/en-US/Home
- Tel: 1900 1886
- Price: From VND 2,500,000
AirAsia is a cheap and rapidly expanding airline firm that has become popular with passengers with its low airfares.
- Tel: support.airasia.com/s/article/Call-Centre?language=en_GB
- Price: From VND 3,000,000
Cambodia Angkor Air is a national airline based in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. This is a joint venture between Vietnam Airlines and the Government of Cambodia.
- Website: www.cambodiaangkorair.com
- Tel: ((+855) 23 666 0330
- Price: From VND 2,000,000
c. Advantages of getting from Siem Reap to Hanoi by airplane
This is the fastest way for visitors to get to Hanoi from Siem Reap. Flying helps to shorten and save the travel time for your trip. A plane travels a lot faster than a car or train. The time savings becomes more significant the farther you travel.
Also, traveling by airplane from Siem Reap to Hanoi gives you complete convenience. All you have to do is to sit still in your seat instead of worrying about the traffic, directions and. Also, during bad weather conditions, you don't have to worry about slippery roads or heavy rain.
d. Disadvantages of getting from Siem Reap to Hanoi by airplane
Despite its convenience and time-saving, traveling by plane from Siem Reap to Hanoi also have some drawbacks. The biggest minus point of traveling from Siem Reap to Hanoi by plane is its expensive cost. The airfare for a plane trip can take you VND 240, which double the price of other means of transportation. Also, sometimes you can get trouble when the flight time is a delay, which is time-consuming and giving you uncomfortable feelings.
e. Some tips for getting from Siem Reap to Hanoi by plane
- You should book your ticket in advance, about 3 to 4 months before your trip which can help you get a cheap one for your trip from Siem Reap to Hanoi because some airline firms such as Vietjet Air or Jetstar often provide a very good discount.
- Siem Reap National Airport is about 5 kilometers from Angkor Wat, which will take you about 7 minutes to get there by taxi or tuk - tuk - a typical vehicle in Cambodia which has a cheaper price than a taxi. The following are some taxi and tuk - tuk services which received good reviews from customers in Cambodia we’d like to recommend:
- Angkor Friendly Driver: (+855)+855 12 701 764
- Angkor Great Tours Taxi Service: (+855)+855 16 877 786
- Angkor Bad Bull Driver: (+855)+855 92 35 55 69
- Angkor Cab: (+855)+855 12 402 801
- Angkor Driver Tram: (+855)+855 86 727 919
- TukTuk Tino Angkor: (+855)+855 95 810 900
- Asana Angkor Tuk Tuk Driver Service: (+855)+855 77 768 286
- Angkor TukTuk Travel: (+855)+855 92 649 906
- Do not choose to get in the first taxi you meet at the airport, as this one could be a taxi with a high fare. Instead of that, you should ask the price before getting in the car.
2. Getting from Siem Reap to Hanoi by bus and airplane/train/shuttle bus
a. Overview about getting from Siem Reap to Hanoi by bus and airplane/train/shuttle bus
This way of travel will include 2 route: From Siem Reap to Ho Chi Minh City route and from Ho Chi Minh City to Hanoi route
- From Siem Reap to Ho Chi Minh City: These two cities have a distance of 466,8 kilometers. You will have a trip from Siem Reap to Ho Chi Minh City by shuttle bus. There are a lot of shuttle bus firms which provide Siem Reap - Ho Chi Minh City trip, and also Phnom Penh - Ho Chi Minh City as well. The average price for a from Ho Chi Minh City to Siem Reap is VND 400,000 with one - way trip and VND 600,000 with a round trip.
- From Ho Chi Minh City to Hanoi: In this route, you can choose to get to Hanoi by train from Saigon Railway Station in District 3. It will take you about 33 hours to get to Hanoi from Ho Chi Minh City, as the distance between these two cities is 1730 kilometers. Also, you can choose a faster way to Hanoi: by airplane. It just takes you only 2 hours to get to Hanoi from Ho Chi Minh City. Another means of transportation to get to Hanoi is the shuttle bus, which will also take you about 33 to 34 hours.
b. How to get to Hanoi from Siem Reap by bus and airplane/train/shuttle bus
From Siem Reap to Ho Chi Minh City: A half - day trip by shuttle bus
From Siem Reap, you can take a shuttle bus to Ho Chi Minh as there are a lot of bus companies operate Ho Chi Minh City - Siem Reap route, such as Kumho Samco, Giant Ibis, Mekong Express, The Sinh Tourist, TheroExpress. Also, these include direct buses as well as buses with a stopover in Phnom Penh. This transportation will take you about 6 to 12 hours to reach Ho Chi Minh City, depending on the type of bus you choose as the bus has a stopover in Phnom Penh will take more time. The bus ticket price that you need to pay begins from VND 500,000, which is quite cheap and helps you to save a considerable sum of money. However, it may take some more time as there is the land border crossing, some rest stops on the way and almost every bus will require a break/bus change in Phnom Penh
Here are some verified and highly recommended bus firms we’d like to introduce:
Provide both direct and via Phnom Penh buses from Siem Reap to Ho Chi Minh City. They have both sitting and the sleeping buses; however, sleeping buses will take more time and money.
- Address: No. 217/67 (Sorya Theatre), Phsar Thmey II, Daun Penh, Phnom Penh
- Telcel: (+84) 2321 0359 ; (+84) 106 315 45
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: ppsoryatransport.com.kh/
- Time duration: 13.5 hours to 15 hours with sitting bus, 18 hours to 10 hours with sleeping bus
- Departure time: 06:45; 08:00; 11:30 everyday
- Price: VND 400,000 - VND 550,000/ person
The Sinh Tourist:
Provide a sitting bus from Siem Reap to Ho Chi Minh City. Also, this bus firm also offers some available Vietnam - Cambodia tours for visitors.
- Address: 246 - 248 De Tham Street., District 1, Ho Chi Minh City
- TelTel: (+84)+84 28 3838 9593
- Fax: (+84)+84 28 3836 9322
- Email: email@example.com
- Time duration: 13 hours
- Departure time: 07:00 everyday
- Price: VND 550,000/ person
Giant Ibis Transport: offer sitting bus from Siem Reap to Phnom Penh and from Phnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh City, so you will need to take 2 routes to get to Ho Chi Minh City.
- Address: 237 Pham Ngu Lao Street. District 1, Ho Chi Minh City
- Tel: (+855)+855 969 993 333
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: giantibis.com/index.php
- Time duration: About 13 - 14 hours
- Departure time: 08:30; 12:30 (From Phnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh City), 22:30, 23:00, 23:30 (From Phnom Penh to Siem Reap) every day
- Price: VND 700,000/ person
Viet Travel Fun: operates sitting bus from Siem Reap to Ho Chi Minh City with a faster time arrival than other bus companies (About 12 hours to get to Ho Chi Minh City)
- Address: 28/13 Bui Vien Street, Pham Ngu Lao Ward, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City
- Tel: (+84)+84 28 6651 6366
- Fax: (+84)+84 283 920 6900
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: vietfuntravel.com
- Time duration: About 12 to 13 hours
- Departure time: 06:30, 07:30 everyday
- Price: VND 700,000/ person
Mekong Express Bus: Provides sleeping bus from Siem Reap to Ho Chi Minh City. They also provide free wifi, breakfast and water.
- Address: 275F, Pham Ngu Lao Street., Ben Thanh Ward,, Ho Chi Minh City
- Tel: : (+855)+855 12 78 78 39; (+855)+855 98 833 399
- Fax: (+855)+855 23 427 168
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: catmekongexpress.com
- Time duration: About 13 to 14 hours
- Departure time: 7:30 everyday
- Price: VND 400,000 - VND 600,000/ person
Some other firms such as Kumho Samco, Sapaco offer services from Phnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh City, so you need to get to Phnom Penh from Siem Reap and then get to Ho Chi Minh City by these buses. The average price of these buses is VND 350,000/ person.
Kumho Samco: 239 Pham Ngu Lao Street, Ben Thanh Ward, Ho Chi Minh City; Tel: (+84)+84 8 6291 5389
Sapaco: 325 Pham Ngu Lao Street Ben Thanh Ward, Ho Chi Minh City; Tel: (+84)+84 8 3810 1466; Website: www.sapacotourist.vn/en/
From Ho Chi Minh City to Hanoi: 3 alternative ways to get to Hanoi
With this route, you can comfortably choose a suitable vehicle depending on your time and pocket such as shuttle buses, trains or planes.
Planes are a good choice for you if you don’t have much time for the trip. It takes about 1 hour and 50 minutes from Ho Chi Minh City to get to Hanoi. The airfare is not too expensive, only about VND 65 for a round trip. Currently, Vietnam Airlines, Jetstar and Vietjet operate this route.
If you travel from Ho Chi Minh City by train, you can buy tickets at Saigon Railway Station with many types of tickets such as hard-berth, soft-berth, hard seats, beds, etc. Thong Nhat train running between Hanoi - Sai Gon takes about 30 hours. The fare depends on what type of chair you want to choose.
- Saigon Railway Station: 1 Nguyen Thong Street, Ward 9, District 3, Ho Chi Minh City; Tel: (+84)+84 8 3821 1192
- Hanoi Railway Station: 120 Le Duan Street, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi; Tel: (+84)+84 43 942 3697
Another alternative way for you to get to Hanoi is by shuttle bus. If traveling by car you should take the bus from some verified companies such as Hoang Long, Mai Linh. The travel time is about 30 - 40 hours. Ticket prices range from 500,000 upwards.
Hoang Long shuttle bus: offers sleeping bus services with the average travel time of 30 - 40 hours. During the trip, you will be provided with meals, free wifi, tissue.
- Email: email@example.com
- Tel: (+84) 225 3920920
- Departure time: 07h00, 11h00, 17h30, 21h00
- Price: VND 750,000
- Website: hoanglongasia.com
Mai Linh Express: offers exclusive sleeping bus services and 5 meals during the trip. The average time duration is about 38 hours.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel: (+84)+84 225 392 0920
- Departure time: 9:00; 15:00
- Price: VND 860,000
- Website: mailinhexpress.vn
Hien Phuoc Shuttle Bus: offers Ho Chi Minh City - Hanoi sleeping bus services with the total travel time of about 48 hours.
- Email: email@example.com
- Tel: ((+84)+84)+84 43 8644 363
- Departure time: 10:30
- Price: VND 920,000
- Website: ctyhienphuoc.com
c. Advantages of getting from Siem Reap to Hanoi by shuttle bus and airplane/train/shuttle bus
- This is a very economical way of traveling as the train and shuttle bus prices are very reasonable and you can save a sum of money for your trip.
- There are a lot of car brands for you to choose from
- Also, this is the chance for you to enjoy the scenery along the way from Siem Reap to Hanoi.
d. Disadvantages of getting from Siem Reap to Hanoi by shuttle bus and airplane/train/shuttle bus
- One of the drawbacks when traveling in this way is the language barrier. Almost every driver cannot speak English, so they may not get your point, or maybe they will misunderstand you.
- Also, traveling on a very long road will make you exhausted and you might get sick after the journey.
- Safety is another minus point that should be considered when traveling in this way. It’s quite dangerous when traveling by car on such a long and winding road.
e. Tips for getting from Siem Reap to Hanoi by shuttle bus and train/ plane/ shuttle bus
- Before the next trip, you need to call the car company where you are (the address and phone number of the representative office are on the ticket details) to confirm the day, time, place to pick up guests at least 1 day before the departure.
- When traveling by shuttle bus, you should sit near the window to admire the two sides of the road.
- If you want to travel by train, you should book the ticket at the verified ticket box in order not to be tricked and lose the money.
3. Getting from Siem Reap to Hanoi by shuttle buses
a. Overview about getting from Siem Reap to Hanoi by shuttle buses
In this way, you will have several trips by shuttle buses and local buses to the north to get to Hanoi. From Siem Reap, you will reach Hanoi after 5 trips with local shuttle buses from Cambodia, Thailand and Laos to Vietnam. It will take the total hours of about 44 hours to get to Hanoi from Siem Reap by shuttle buses. The journey includes 5 routes:
- From Siem Reap to Aranyaprathet/Poipet (in Cambodia)
- From Aranyaprathet to Nakhon Ratchasima (In Thailand)
- From Nakhon Ratchasima to Udon Thani (In Thailand)
- From Udon Thani to Vientiane Talat Sao Station (In Laos)
- From Vientiane - Southern Bus to Ha Noi Nuoc Ngam Bus Station (In Vietnam)
b. How to get to Hanoi from Siem Reap by shuttle buses
From Siem Reap to Aranyaprathet/Poipet
Your first trip will start with the journey from Siem Reap to Thailand - Cambodia border. The bus will take you to Poipet, the border town of Cambodia. After getting off the bus, you will come to the Department building to have your passport checked and stamped before crossing the border to get to Thailand and continue the journey. It takes about 2 hours to get from Siem Reap to Poipet. Book the bus here.
From Aranyaprathet to Nakhon Ratchasima
After crossing Pompet and reach Aranyaprathet of Thailand, you will get to Nakhon Ratchasima by choosing one from 2 available means of transportation here: Taxi or bus.
The Bus is the cheapest vehicle to get to Nakhon as it only costs you VND 180,000. However, it takes the longest time of travel - 5 hours. You can find your bus and check the departure time here.
Taxi is an alternative way for you to get to Nakhon. With lesser hours than the bus, just about 3 hours and a half, it costs you about VND 2,000,000 - VND 2,800,000. You can book a taxi and get information about taxi firms here.
From Nakhon Ratchasima to Udon Thani
Halfway through the journey! You will take a bus to Udon Thani from Nakhon, which takes you about VND 200,000 to VND 400,000. You will reach Udon Thani after 5 hours. All you gotta do is to get to the central bus station in Nakhon and you’ll be on the bus after half an hour. There is a public bus which is cheaper than some private bus firms; however, a private bus will give you some stops along the trip, which is somehow more comfortable.
From Udon Thani to Vientiane
After 3 hours getting to Udon Thani from Nakhon, you will continue your trip to the border of Laos, Vientiane to reach Vientiane Talat Sao Station and finish your last trip to Hanoi, Vietnam. You get a bus to Vientiane at the main bus station in Udon Thani, and then at the border in Nong Khai, you will get off the bus for immigration formalities, and then you will get on the same bus until you reach the bus terminal in Vientiane. At the bus station in Vientiane, get a tuk- tuk with only about VND 40,000 - VND 80,000 to get to Vientiane Talat Sao Station.
From Vientiane Talat Station to Hanoi Nuoc Ngam Station
After reaching the Talat Station in Vientiane, you get a sleeping bus to Hanoi. The distance between Vientiane and Hanoi is about 760 kilometers, so it takes about 20 hours to get to the final destination. Various shuttle bus firms provide sleeping bus services from Vientiane to Vietnam, with a stop at Vinh in Vietnam, such as HTX, The Sinh Tourists. You can book the bus for your trip here.
Advantages of getting from Siem Reap to Hanoi by shuttle bus
- This is a budget-friendly way for you when traveling to a lot of countries.
- Also, this is a very suitable way for those who want to explore some Sou East Asia countries as you are crossing to 4 countries. This way of travel should combine with a trip so that you will not waste too much time just sitting on the bus and enjoy the trip completely.
- You can enjoy and observe the life of local people in some Asia countries, which will bring you a lot of interesting and memorable experiences.
Disadvantages of getting from Siem Reap to Hanoi by shuttle bus
- This way of travel will take you a lot of time, so make sure that your trip has enough time in order not to miss your favourite destination.
- It’s really exhausting when traveling from bus to bus so that this way is not comfortable with those who have a bad health condition.
Tips for getting from Siem Reap to Hanoi by shuttle bus
- When crossing borders, you should fill in the immigration form correctly in order not to rewrite and save time. Also, remember to bring a pen with you.
- Always bring water and some snack with you, as the long journey will make you tired and some buses will not offer you water during the trip.
The above are 3 alternative ways to get to Hanoi from Siem Reap with specific information for each way so that you can consider and easily choose the most suitable one for your trip. Hopefully, you will have a nice trip in Siem Reap and Hanoi!
4. Brief summary about vehicles from Siem Reap to Hanoi
|Vehicle||Plane||Bus and airplane/train/shuttle bus||Private Car/Taxi|
|Duration||1,5 - 6 hours||34 - 35 hours||44 hours|
|Price||VND 1,200,000 - VND 4,000,000||VND 1,500,000||VND 1,200,000|
|Departure Time||Depend on flights||Depend on your trip||Any time you want|
|Convenience & Comfort||9/10||7/10||6/10|
|Advantages||- More luggage - Use least time - Safe - Convenient||- Cheap - Closer look at local life and landscape||- More privacy - Cheap|
|Disadvantages||- Expensive||- Language barrier - Time – consuming||- Time – consuming - Unnecessary charge|