Bangkok to Hanoi: 4 ways to travel
Bangkok to Hanoi: 4 ways to travel
Table of contentHide All
Bangkok is the capital and most popular tourist attraction in Thailand. This place is considered "City of Gods" and is also considered "Venice in the East" by the beautiful sights and the people of Bangkok. Bangkok is a popular choice for those who love fun, shopping and enjoy the vibrant life of the city. Join Bangkok's touristic journey to discover the vibrant city of one of South East Asia's busiest cities.
Another city in the South East Asia region, Hanoi, Vietnam, is also another outstanding spot of the region with a thousand- year of culture and civilization. It is the busiest city in the north of Vietnam, with millions of people and millions of motorbikes, and also a rich and unique history and great local cuisine.The capital of Vietnam always attracts tourists by its ancient features and tranquility. If you have a trip to Hanoi, surely you can not forget the typical atmosphere here, with Hoan Kiem Lake, West Lake, quiet cafés, small streets and street vendors.
As South East Asia countries and very close to each other, after visiting the capital of Thailand, visitors can get from Bangkok to Hanoi to visit this charming city. There are some available ways for you to get to Hanoi from Bangkok. Let’s explore some alternative ways to get to Hanoi from Bangkok with us.The most effective and fastest way how to get from Bangkok to Hanoi is to use a direct flight, this flight can take only about 2 hours.
1. Overview about Bangkok - Hanoi
The distance between Bangkok and Hanoi is about 987 kilometers. There are 4 main ways to get to Hanoi from Bangkok: By plane, plane - train, train - bus and finally by bus only. Some of these ways will cross the country between Thailand and Vietnam: Laos. If you don’t have much time for your trip, flights will be the best choice for you as it can save a lot of time. Otherwise, if you have a lot of time and want to have a budget-friendly trip, bus and train will help you out.
2. How to get from Bangkok to Hanoi by plane
a. Overview about getting from Bangkok to Hanoi by plane
This is the fastest way for you to get to Hanoi from Bangkok as the flight takes only about 2 hours to get to the capital of Vietnam. There are a lot of airline firms provide Bangkok - Hanoi flights with the average price ranges from VND 1,300,000 - VND 4,500,000 depending on the ticket type. Bangkok has two airports, Don Muang and Suvarnabhumi, both far from the city center. You need to look carefully at the ticket to find out which airport you are in and choose the right way to move to the airport.
b. How to get to Don Muang and Suvarnabhumi Airport
Getting to Suvarnabhumi Airport by Airport Rail Link
The metro line connecting Suvarnabhumi Airport to Bangkok center is fast, cheap and convenient and perfect for visitors who do not have too much luggage. It operates from 6 am to 12 pm, including SA Express and SA City Line.
The SA Express line will move from Makkasan Station to the airport: From here you can easily connect to the airport by MRT at Phetchaburi Station. Total travel time is 15 minutes, the ticket price is VND 90,000
SA Line is moving from the Phaya Thai station to the airport, which connects to the BTS Skytrain at Phayathai station. City Line stops at 6 stations, including Makkasan Station. The total travel time is about 30 minutes, and the fares range from VND 9,000 - VND 20,000 depending on the route.
Getting to Suvarnabhumi Airport by taxi
If you go to large groups or have more luggage, you should use a taxi. The average total amount you pay ranges from VND 180,000 to VND 300,000. However, Bangkok is famous for traffic jams so you should avoid traveling by taxi during peak hours.
Don Muang Airport
Getting to Don Muang Airport by taxi
Like Suvarnabhumi Airport, the total amount you pay from VND 180,000 - VND 200,000 to get to the Don Muang Airport.
Getting to Don Muang Airport by Airport bus
If you want to save more money, you can catch the airport bus (you can see the guide board or ask staff to find the bus station). There are 4 bus routes to choose from, depending on from where you are:
- Line 4: Don Muang - Silom.
- Line 10: Don Muang - Victory Monument (Khaosan Road) - Southern Region Bus Terminal (continue to the southern provinces).
- Line 13: Don Muang - Sukhumvit Road - Eastern Region Bus Terminal (also known as Ekamai Bus Station, where the bus to Pattaya).
- Line 29: Don Muang - Victory Monument (Khaosan Road) - Bangkok Railway Station (Hua Lamphong - Chinatown).
Getting to Don Muang Airport by Skytrain
Another way for you to get to Don Muang Airport is by skytrain. Take the Skytrain to Mo Chit and then take the bus 29 to the airport is all you need to do. It’s a quite cheap way for you to get to Don Muang Airport.
c. How to get from Bangkok to Hanoi by airplane
Many aviation firms are providing the flights from BAngkok to Hanoi with an average price of about VND 1,200,000 to VND 4,500,000, including Vietnam Airlines, Jetstar, Vietjet, Thai Airways, AirAsia, Thai Lion Air and Qatar Airways.
Vietnam Airline: This is the flag carrier and the first aviation firm in Vietnam, with routes to Southeast Asia, East Asia, which has totaled more than 360 flights a day.
- Website: www.vietnamairlines.com/vn/en/home
- Phone: 1900 1100
- Price: From VND 3,900,000
Jetstar is the first low-cost aviation firm in Vietnam. With the mission of providing cheap daily airfares , Jetstar Pacific now operates passenger and cargo services to domestic destinations in Vietnam with its Airbus A320 fleet of 180 passengers.
- Website: www.jetstar.com/vn/en/home
- Phone: 19001550
- Price: From VND 4,000,000
Vietjet air is another domestic aviation firm that is also very well known and has a reputation for its economical price.
- Website: www.vietjetair.com/Sites/Web/en-US/Home
- Phone: 1900 1886
- Price: From VND 3,500,000
AirAsia is a cheap and rapidly expanding airline firm that has become popular with passengers with its low airfares.
- Website: www.airasia.com/en/home.page
- Phone: support.airasia.com/s/article/Call-Centre?language=en_GB
- Price: From VND 3,500,000
Thai Lion Air is an airline in Jakarta, Indonesia which also provides Bangkok - Hanoi flights with an average price from VND 3,600,000.
- Website: lionairthai.com/en/
- Phone: (+66) 2 529 9999
- Price: From VND 3,600,000
Qatar Airways is an airline based in Doha, Qatar. It is one of the fastest-growing airlines and one of five airlines to be awarded the Five Star Airlines .
- Website: www.qatarairways.com/en/homepage
- Phone: (+84) 79 3061 6000
- Fax: (+974) 4022 5336
- Price: From VND 3,900,000
d. Advantages of getting from Bangkok to Hanoi by plane
This is the fastest and the best way to get to Hanoi from Bangkok, which can save a lot of time for your trip. Also, it is safer to travel by airplane and the staff can satisfy all your needs during the flight.
e. Disadvantages of getting from Bangkok to Hanoi by plane
The price for a trip by plane from Bangkok to Hanoi is quite expensive and not as really budget-friendly as other ways of transport. You also have to include the price of getting to the airport also.
f. Tips for getting from Bangkok to Hanoi by plane
- Suvarnabhumi International Airport is Bangkok's newest and largest international airport. It operates mostly international flights to and from Thailand, as well as domestic and international flights within the region.
- Meanwhile, Don Muang Airport is smaller and older than Suvarnabhumi Airport. This airport operates some international flights and most domestic flights. Most low-cost airlines in Thailand are based in Don Muang Airport.
- Never get on a taxi which does not have a meter. All Bangkok taxis are required to have a meter displaying the distance and cost, and all taxi with price negotiation are illegal in Thailand.
- Taxi drivers may not know every corner of the city, and are not good at English. Ask the hotel staff to write the name of the airport or place of interest on a piece of paper in the Thai language to easily communicate the information to the driver.
- To have a cheap ticket, you can go to the website of aviation firms to search for more information, as some airline companies such as Vietjet, Jetstar often have a very good discount.
- You should get to the airport early as traffic jam occurs a lot in Bangkok, which may lead to missing the flight.
3. How to get from Bangkok to Hanoi by plane and train
a. Overview about getting from Bangkok to Hanoi by plane and train
The second way for you to get to Hanoi from Bangkok is the combination of planes and trains. You will have a flight from Bangkok to Hai Phong, a coastal province in Vietnam, and then take a train to the capital of Vietnam - Hanoi. This way of travel takes about 7 hours and a half to get to Hanoi. It will cost a little bit more than a direct flight from Bangkok to Hanoi, but it still saves your time considerably than the shuttle bus.
b. How to get from Bangkok to Hanoi by plane and train
Route 1: From Bangkok to Hai Phong, Vietnam: A fast route by plane by
Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK) provides direct flights from Bangkok to Hai Phong Airport (HPH). It takes about 1 hour and 55 minutes to get to Hai Phong, and the average price for this flight is from VND 2,600,000. Vietjet, Jetstar and Vietnam Airlines offer these flights . You can check their website to book the ticket.
After reaching Haiphong Airport, you’ll get a taxi to get to Haiphong Railway Station, which is about 7 kilometers from the airport. Here are some verified taxi companies you can choose to get on:
- Vinasun taxi: (+84) 8 3827 272
- Mailinh Taxi Group: (+84) 8 3838 38387
- Dat Cang Taxi: (+84) 225 3736 736
- Taxi 84: (+84) 225 384 8484
- En Vang Taxi: (+84) 225 377 7999
Route 2: From Hai Phong to Hanoi, Vietnam: An interesting trip by train by
When coming to Hai Phong Railway Station, you can buy the ticket online or
at the ticket counter. The price is very cheap and reasonable, which costs you only VND 40,000 - VND 60,000. The trains will depart from Hai Phong Railway Station and arrive at Hanoi Railway Station, Gia Lam Railway Station or Long Bien Railway Station. It takes about 2 hours to get to Hanoi from Hai Phong. You can easily book the online ticket at: Baolau or 12go.asia. After booking the online ticket, you will get your e-ticket by email, so make sure to print it or you can open it in your mobile phone or tablet to present the ticket when boarding the train
Hai Phong Railway Station:
- Address: 75 Luong Khanh Thien Street, Ngo Quyen District, Hai Phong, Vietnam
Hanoi Railway Station:
- Address: 120 Le Duan Street, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi, Vietnam
Long Bien Railway Station:
- Address: Tran Nhat Duat Street, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi, Vietnam
Gia Lam Railway Station:
- Address: Ngoc Lam Street, Long Bien District, Hanoi, Vietnam
c. Advantages of getting from Bangkok to Hanoi by plane and train
Although traveling from Bangkok to Hanoi by plane and train will take more time than by airplane, this way still saves a considerable amount of time for you, as you can reach Hanoi within a day. Also,traveling by train in Vietnam will be a very interesting experience.
d. Disadvantages of getting from Bangkok to Hanoi by plane and train
Prices start to rise a little bit, as you have to pay the airplane ticket, train ticket and taxi charges. Also, you may miss the last train of the day from Hai Phong to Hanoi is you’re not careful and didn’t plan first.
e. Tips for getting from Bangkok to Hanoi by plane and train
- 4 trains are operating the route from Hai Phong to Hanoi per day, so check the time carefully if you don’t want to miss the train to Hanoi.
- Hanoi has three railway station; therefore, choose the train that arrives at the stations which is nearest to your destination in Hanoi.
- The travel time on the train is quite long, so you can buy snacks or foods to get energy.
- The train price also depends on the seat type: Soft seat or hard seat.
4. How to get from Bangkok to Hanoi by train and bus
a. Overview about get from Bangkok to Hanoi by train and bus
To get to Hanoi from Bangkok by train and bus, you will experience 3 routes with 2 different means of transportation: From Hua Lamphong (Bangkok, Thailand) to Nong Khai (near the border crossing Laos) by train; from Nong Khai to Vientiane - Southern Bus Station by car or train and finally, from Vientiane to Hanoi by bus. The total hours of the trip are about 43 hours. The average price for this way of travel is about VND 2,500,000 to VND 4,000,000.
b. How to get from Bangkok to Hanoi by train and bus
Route 1: From Bangkok to Nong Khai: A 9 hour trip by train
To get to Nong Khai, a town near the border crossing Lao, you need to take a train from Bangkok Hua Lamphong station. It takes about 9 hours to get to Nong Khai with the fastest train (Train #75) and more than 11 hours with the slowest train (Train #133). The ticket price depends on the type of seat, also. You can easily buy the 2nd and 3rd Fan Seats class ticket at the train station on the day of travel. However, if you prefer 1st and 2nd Class Sleeper seats, you will need to book it in advance. Online booking is convenient, but you will have to pay an extra fee. You can book the ticket here.
You can get to the station by tuk tuk, metro (MRT), bus, taxi and even on foot as the station is only 700 meters away from the Marine Department Pier lying on Chao Phraya Express Boat line. This station is also near Chinatown, one of the most diverse and interesting places of Bangkok. You can leave your luggage at the station and visit this area if you have time.
Route 2: From Nong Khai to Vientiane: A trip by train or bus
The fastest and most convenient way recommended for you to to get from Nong Khai station to Vientiane Southern Bus Station: is by train and bus: You can travel by train from Nong Khai Station to Thanaleng in Laos and take a bus or minivan from there to the bus station in Vientiane. Only two trains are departing from Nong Khai to Thanaleng in Laos a day, which are 7:30 and 14:00 so make sure that you can arrive in time in Nong Khai those trains.
They get to Thanaleng very quickly, just about 15 minutes and the ticket price is very cheap, only VND 120,000. You can buy the ticket at the ticket counters of the Nong Khai train station. When buying the ticket at ticket office, you’ll be asked to buy a ‘joint ticket’ which costs 300 Bath or more with the combination of train and minivan ticket. Buying this kind of ticket is an option so you can choose to buy the train ticket only or you can buy the joint one.
The immigration procedure when leaving Thailand:
- Leaving Thailand: After buying the train ticket to Thanaleng, you need to get to the immigration booth on platform 1 at Nong Khai Train station. Give the office your passport and completed the departure card in the ticket booth in order to be given an exit stamp out of Thailand.
- Entering Laos: After reaching Thanaleng by train, you will go to the immigration booth at the train station. At the window #1, you will receive an arrival card and a visa application form. Then fill in form, arrival card, and give them back to the officer at the window #1 with your photograph and VND 600,000. Then wait at window #2 for the officer to get your passport for collection.
After finishing the procedure, you can take a tuk-tuk at a very reasonable price to get to the South Bus Station to finish the journey.
Route 3: From Vientiane to Hanoi: The final journey to Hanoi by bus
From Vientiane Bus Station, you can take a sleeping bus from 27-7 or The Sinh Tourist to get to Nuoc Ngam Station in Hanoi. It takes about 23 hours for the journey. The bus is very modern and comfortable. The average ticket price for a one way trip is about VND 700,000. For convenience, you should buy the ticket online at baolau and 12go.asia
c. Advantages of getting from Bangkok to Hanoi by train and bus
This way is suitable for those who have a long trip and want to explore the daily life of the locals in Laos also. Additionally, it is a budget-friendly way of travel, as it is not as expensive as the direct flight from Bangkok to Hanoi.
d. Disadvantages of getting from Bangkok to Hanoi by train and bus
Traveling by train and bus from Bangkok to Hanoi will take 2 days of your trip, so it is not advisable way for those whose travel time is short. Also, it will make you exhausted after a long journey. The immigration procedure when entering Laos will be quite complex and take your time.
e. Tips for getting from Bangkok to Hanoi by train and bus
- You ought to take the early train (Train #75 departing at 08.20) so you will travel in the day and have a night in Nong Khai before continuing the trip to Laos. It’s great to explore the Mekong River daily life at night.
- If you are planning to travel overnight, Train #25 is suitable for you as the service of the train has various sleeper berths for you to take a nap and relax.
- Always remember to hold valuable things, especially the passport with you.
- Don’t forget the plate number of the bus, in case you forget something on bus, then you can find it quickly.
- Before getting off the bus, check your belongings again in case it will be taken by other passengers on the bus.
5. How to get from Bangkok to Hanoi by buses
a. Overview about getting from Bangkok to Hanoi by buses
This is the cheapest way for you to get to Hanoi from Bangkok. You will take several buses from the center of Bangkok to Vientiane, and finally to Hanoi. It will take you about 44 hours to get to the capital of Vietnam. There are some different ways to get to Hanoi by this means of transport, depending on the bus firms. Therefore, the fastest route recommended for you is from Bangkok to Vientiane and from Vientiane to Hanoi Nuoc Ngam Station, which you only have to change the buses two times despite other ways of Traveling by bus.
b. How to get from Bangkok to Hanoi by buses
Route 1: From Bangkok to Vientiane
Bangkok has an international bus service from there to Vientiane. Transport Co Intl based at Mo Chit Bus Terminal in Bangkok operates this service. The bus daily departs at 8pm from there and will get to Talat Sao bus station in Vientiane by 7am the next morning. If you tend to go to the Thailand consulate in Vientiane to apply for your Thai visa, this bus is sure to take you to the consulate in time. The direct bus is great and convenient as you don’t need to worry about changing and finding other different ways to get across the border. You can go to Mo Chit Bus Terminal to get the ticket
As arriving Talat Sao station in Vientiane, you need to take a tuk-tuk to Vientiane Southern Bus Station (also known as km9 Station) to complete the journey.
Route 2: From Vientiane to Hanoi
From here, you can take a sleeping bus to Hanoi. It takes from 20 hours to 24 hours to get to Hanoi, and the total price for the trip is about VND 550,000. TheSinh Tourists is one of the most verified bus companies providing Vientiane - Hanoi route, so you ought to choose this firm for your trip to Hanoi. You can also ask the staff in the station to have other suggestions to Hanoi. You can book the ticket in advance on the website of 12go.asia. The soonest departure time is at 09:55, and the latest one is at 17:00 in local Laos time.
c. Advantages of getting from Bangkok to Hanoi by buses
This is the cheapest way for you as it cost only half the price of traveling by plane. Also, buying the tickets is not too hard and you can even buy the tickets the day of travel.
d. Disadvantages of getting from Bangkok to Hanoi by buses
The Long journey and slippery roads will make you tired and exhausted. The bus cannot provide the complete comfort like a plane, so you will find it inconvenient sometimes on the journey. Also, it takes a lot of time to get to Hanoi, which may prevent you from entirely enjoy the things in Hanoi.
e. Tips for getting from Bangkok to Hanoi by buses
- If you cross the border from Laos to Vietnam, you need a visa in advance, since Vietnam visa-on-arrival applies e to air travel only.
- You should bring some water and a snack with you in case you are hungry and tired along the journey.
- Always check the luggage in case you will forget yours when getting off the bus.
6. Brief summary about vehicles from Bangkok to Hanoi
|Vehicle||Plane||Plane -Train||Train - Bus||Buses|
|Duration||2 hours||7,5 hours||43 hours||44 hours|
|Price||VND 1,300,000 - VND 4,500,000||VND 2,500,000||VND 2,000,000||VND 1,500,000|
|Disadvantages||- Expensive - Regular delay||- Take more time||- Take a lot of time - Tired - Complex procedure||- Take a lot of time - Tired|
|Advantages||- Safe - Save time - Convenient||- A budget-friendly way - Interesting experience||- Save money||- Save a lot of money|